Exciting! Insane! Unfathomable!
John Dolan at Galericulate has nominated me for a Liebster Award (http://tinyurl.com/ccthmv2). Much obliged, sir. A native of northeast England, John prefers the name “Scoundrel” and openly admits to ham acting. (Or is it Hamlet?) He is available for witty repartee and blackmail on Twitter at @JohnDolanAuthor.
What exactly is a Liebster Award? Good question. Near as I can tell, bloggers present this award to other bloggers to help spread the word about their blogs. Liebster is a German word meaning favorite, beloved, or dearest.
Here’s how it works. When you accept the award, you follow up by:
- Pasting the award picture into your blog. Several different styles are available online. Use the one you like best.
- Linking back to the person who nominated you.
- Posting eleven random facts about yourself.
- Answering the eleven questions asked by the person who nominated you.
- Writing eleven new questions for your nominees.
- Passing the award on to eleven other blogs, and notifying the bloggers that you nominated them.
I’ve found several variations of this award online, so feel free to switch things up to suit your preferences.
Oh, and one more thing: You cannot nominate the person who nominated you.
Eleven random facts about Marny:
- I live in western Oregon, and I like the rain.
- A feral cat enters our house through the cat window, sleeps on our furniture, eats our cat food, and plays with our cat toys . . . but we can’t get near her. We call her our feral house cat. (No need to worry about cat overpopulation. She was trapped and spayed earlier in life, before she wandered over to our house.)
- I prefer taking the alternate route to most destinations.
- The United States has 58 national parks. I would like to visit them all.
- I have a number of food sensitivities, including wheat, eggs, milk products, soy, peanuts, almonds, beans, citrus fruits, cherries, peaches, raspberries, sesame, and coffee. I also can’t drink alcohol.
- I used to spend my summers employed in archaeological fieldwork.
- My husband blogs at a much faster rate than I do. Hey, I thought I was supposed to be the writer!
- I follow my hunches. A strange feeling led me to a feral cat I rescued, who is now one of our house cats. (Not the same one I mentioned above.)
- My mom’s family homesteaded in Oregon in 1876. An ancestor on my dad’s side arrived here even earlier, in the 1840s. He was a fur trapper.
- A cow chased me up a tree when I was a kid. She didn’t like the way I mooed at her.
- I’m a night owl. A great deal of my writing takes place after 11 p.m.
Answers to the eleven questions from John:
1. What is the worst present you have ever received?
When I was a little kid, maybe three or four, I received a doll from my aunt and uncle, who were visiting for Christmas. I burst into tears when I opened the gift. I have an extreme aversion to dolls. Nothing says “happy holidays” quite like a long crying jag on Christmas Eve.
2. If you were going to throw someone out of an aeroplane who would it be?
3. What is the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever worn?
Excruciatingly ugly, homemade hand-me-downs in sixth grade. All year.
4. If you could have been the writer of any song, which song would it be?
This one is tough. I like a variety of music, including Gregorian chant, classical, folk, Celtic, bluegrass, country, rock, gospel, reggae, pop, and hip hop. I have a special appreciation for folk music, so my pick (if I could decide on one) would be in that field.
5. If you weren’t doing what you are doing, what would you be doing?
I would be doing something with plants, like herbalism or ethnobotany.
6. How long can you hold your breath for?
7. If you had to have a tattoo what would it be and where would it be on your body?
A cat on my shoulder.
8. Apple or Microsoft?
9. If you could remove one country from the planet which one would it be?
I prefer to target individuals, not countries.
10. Which extinct animal would you like to see not-extinct?
I wish we could have back all the animals that became extinct in the last hundred years (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/recently-extinct-animals.html).
11. Which movie is most likely to make you blub?
Anything with a doll in it. (See item 1 above.)
Eleven new questions for my nominees:
- When did you first realize you liked to write?
- Who is your favorite villain from a book or movie?
- Can you name one item from your bucket list?
- Do you have a muse? If so, what is it?
- What book excited you the most when you were a kid?
- Do you write in a linear fashion, or do you jump around?
- Do you live with animals? If so, can you read their expressions?
- Do you have a personal motto?
- Are you dying to know the answer to any mysteries?
- If you could witness any event in history, what would it be?
- Do you like dolls? If so, why?
My nominees for the Liebster Award:
Honoré Dupuis, @Sisyphus47, http://ofglassandpaper.com/
K. D. Rush, @KD_Rush, http://kdrush.net/
Jo-Anne Teal, @jtvancouver, http://goingforcoffee.net/
Randy Nishimura, @sworegonarch, http://www.sworegonarchitect.blogspot.com/
Carlie M. A. Cullen, @carlie2011c, http://carliemacullen.com/
Melissa Robitille, @mahrial, http://robitille.wordpress.com/
Ev Bishop, @Ev_Bishop, http://evbishop.wordpress.com/
J. J. Anderson, @TPJ13, http://thevelveteenmaraca.wordpress.com/
Kenny C, @KennyC313, http://dontthinkjustwrite.wordpress.com/
Armand Rosamilia, @ArmandAuthor, http://armandrosamilia.com/
There you have it. Good luck and have fun!